People love to tattoo. They adore their bodies with designs of mythical beasts, birds, flowers and even the names of their beloved ones. But in ancient times, it was considered mark of slavery, rebel or criminal. Tattoo also defines designation in some of the military forces.
There are some people who regret for having tattoo in their bodies. There are various reasons for this and the foremost is outdated design. It is also reported that many organizations ask their employees to remove their tattoo or at least not to expose it in the office.
Removing tattoo is no big deal these days. You can remove it easily from your body by applying laser technology. Q- Switched lasers is a non invasive laser technology to remove tattoos completely which was considered permanent earlier.
You need to take proper care of your skin before and after removing the tattoo. This will avoid side effects of tattoo removal. The amount of time required for removal and success of removal depends on each individual. There are different factors to consider such as skin type, location, color, amount of ink etc.
Pre-treatment skin care tips
1. The tattoo area should not be exposed to sunlight, tanning beds or use of self tanners for at least 4 weeks prior to treatment. The risk of hypo/ hyper pigmentation (lightening/ darkening of skin) increases with sun or UV exposure.
2. Treatment area should be clean shave.
3. Treatments that may cause skin irritation should be avoided like benzoyl peroxide or astringents or depilatories etc for minimum of 1 to 2 weeks prior to treatment and until the skin is fully healed after the treatment.
These are few things you need to do prior to start removal technique. Once the procedure is done we need to take care of skin area where removal was treated. Discomfort is expected while removing the tattoo. The area may appear bruised after the treatment which will fade in around a week.
Post treatment skin care tips
1. Tattoo lightening process is a multi-step process. You need to come back for further treatments spaced between 7 weeks depending upon location, size and color of your tattoo.
2. People tend to develop blisters in 8-72 hours of post treatment which may last for 1 to 2 weeks. No need to panic as they are sign that your body is healing. Please do not burst these blisters. Use recommended ointment for blisters to pop naturally.
3. Dressings should be changed once a day or after shower for first three days. Do not bandage the treated area in the first day. Gently cleanse the treated area with antibacterial soap and water and pat dry with clean towel.
4. Wash your hands before touching the treated area.
5. Do not use perfume, lotion or make-up in the treated areas.
6. Apply provided cream or simple petroleum and cover with large band aid. Make sure bandage is not too tight.
7. Apply ice packs protected with clean cloth to reduce swelling and soreness.
8. Itching and scabbing is normal which may lasts 7 to 14 days. It is best to prevent scabbing, do not pick, peel or scratch as it may cause scarring or change in natural skin color and removing scab increases healing time. This may also lead to infection. Shaving should be avoided until the treated area is completely healed.
9. Avoid exposing direct sun, saunas, salt water or pool water, hot shower for 2 to 4 weeks to the healing skin. You can shower as usual but pat dry the treated area as soon as possible. Keep the treated area dry and clean when it is healing.
10. Apply sunscreen at the treated areas everyday even if clothing covers treated area. Sunlight will travel through your shirts and pants. This will help with ink absorb and itching.
11. Some tattoo inks, including many lighter and skin-tone inks, may darken or change color in response to treatment. After laser treatment skin can develop temporary lightening or darkening which will resolve with time but can sometime be permanent. Hyper pigmentation can be worsened with sun exposure. It (hyper pigmentation) occurs usually after multiple treatments.
12. You can re-tattoo the area after the skin is completely healed.
13. Have a healthy lifestyle and quit smoking. Having a balanced diet and light exercise supports body’s immune system and helps with skin healing process.
Follow these simple tips to avoid any unnecessary side effects. If there is further itching or bleeding please contact your clinic or tattoo specialist. If you need any suggestions in this regard then you can contact us. We will give the best possible treatments. Great and successful tattoo removal starts with good proper skin care before and after removal procedure.